By Clay Schuldt
The Jan. 3 Caledonia School Board meeting began with the appointment and oath of office for new board members Jared Barnes and Amanda King.
Following the oath, the board appointed officers. Michelle Werner will once again serve as board chairman, with Kelley McGraw serving as vice-chair. Jean Meyer will serve as clerk, Melissa Marschall will take over as treasurer and Spencer Yohe will continue as legislative liaison.
The board chose to shake up the temporary committees by eliminating, combining and adding a few committees. Superintendent Ben Barton said he felt that some committees met rarely and could be re-established if the need should arise. Barton suggested creating a Finance Committee, which the board agreed to include. “I think it would just be a good way to keep the board informed,” Barton said. “If we can keep two school board members informed they could do their duty to inform the rest of the board as needed.”
The Ad Advisory Committee was combined with the Co-Curricular/Athletic Committee to create the Extracurricular Committee to handle all after school activities. The Transportation Committee was likewise combined with Building and Grounds.
The Continuing Education Committee, District Improvement Team and Houston County Collaborative were eliminated.
The 2013 temporary committees and the board members appointed to the committees are as follows:
• Administrative Negotiations Committee: Jean Meyer, Michelle Werner and Jared Barnes
• Building, Grounds and Transportation: Jean Meyer and Jared Barnes
• Activities Committee (formerly Co-curricular/Athletics): Spencer Yohe and Michelle Werner
Community Ed Advisory: Melissa Marschall
• Curriculum/PSEO/On-line Learning: Melissa Marschall and Amanda King
• Hiawatha Valley Education District: Amanda King
• Meet and Confer Committee: Kelley McGraw and Michelle Werner
• MN State High School League: Spencer Yohe
• Strategic Planning: Spencer Yohe, Amanda King and Jean Meyer
• Support Staff Negotiation: Jean Meyer, Melissa Marschall and Jared Barnes
• Teacher Negotiation: Kelley McGraw, Spencer Yohe and Michelle Werner
• Technology Committee: Jean Meyer and Kelley McGraw
The board member compensation did not change and remains at $35 per meeting with $75 for all day meetings and $37 for half day meetings. The mileage allowance was raised to 56.5 cents per mile from 55 cents last year to match IRS Guidelines.
The school depositories were established as Merchants Bank as the primary and the secondary school account is at Bank of the West. Banks approved for investments include Bank of the West, Merchants Bank, Eitzen State Bank, New Albin Savings Bank, Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus and La Salle National Bank.
The school lawyers include: The Knutson, Flynn, Deans, P.A. and Ratwick, Roszak, and Maloney, P.A. firms were approved for student/employee matters and Tim Murphy for property and other local concerns. Clifton Larson Allen, LLP was approved as the school auditor.
2013 Meeting Times
The board voted to keep regular board meeting times at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month in the high school media center, with special meetings scheduled as needed. With that said, the January and February meetings were changed as both meetings fall on federal holidays. The meetings were rescheduled for Jan. 24 and Feb. 21 at 7 p.m.
The next regular school board meeting is Thursday, Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. in the media center.