The Caledonia School Board acted on several housekeeping matters during its first meeting of the new year, the most notable of which includes changing the meeting time from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning in February.
In a related matter, the board switched its regular January and February meeting dates from the third Monday of the month to Tuesday due to Martin Luther King Jr. Day and President’s Day.
The upcoming schedule is as follows:
• Tuesday, Jan. 21 at 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 6 p.m.
• Monday, March 17 at 6 p.m. and every third Monday of the month moving forward at 6 p.m.
The meetings are held in the middle school/high school media center, and the public is always welcome.
The 2014 School Board officer positions were duplicated from 2013 and include:
• Chair Michelle Werner.
• Vice-Chair Kelley McGraw.
• Clerk Jean Meyer.
• Treasurer Melissa Marschall.
• Legislative Liaison Spencer Yohe.
A decision on compensation for School Board members was tabled until the Jan. 21 meeting. The current arrangement has each member earning $35 for each regular, special and committee meeting. All day in and out-of-district meetings are currently $75 per day and $37.50 per half day.
Per IRS guidelines, mileage will be paid at $0.56 per mile.
Appointment of committees
The vast majority of committee assignments remained the same in 2014, per the board’s decision. They include:
• Activities Committee – Michelle Werner and Spencer Yohe.
• Administrative Negotiations – Jared Barnes, Jean Meyer and Michelle Werner.
• Building, Grounds and Transportation Committee – Kelley McGraw and Jean Meyer.
• Community Education Advisory Council Representatives – Amanda King and Melissa Marshall.
• Curriculum/PSEO/Online Learning Committee – Jared Barnes and Melissa Marschall.
• Finance Committee – Amanda King and Melissa Marschall.
• Hiawatha Valley Education District Representative – Amanda King.
• Meet and Conference Committee – Kelley McGraw and Michelle Werner.
• Minnesota State High School League – Spencer Yohe and Jean Meyer as an alternate.
• Strategic Planning Committee (World’s Best Workforce) – Amanda King, Jean Meyer and Spencer Yohe.
• Support Staff Negotiations Committee – Jared Barnes, Melissa Marschall and Jean Meyer.
• Teacher Negotiations Committee – Kelley McGraw, Michelle Werner and Spencer Yohe.
• Technology Committee – Jared Barnes and Jean Meyer.
There was one resignation on the agenda – Linda Kohnen, effective March 1 – and it was approved.
As is customary at the beginning of the year, the following items gained approval.
• The board approved the services of the following attorneys:
• Knutson, Flynn Deans, P.A.
• Kennedy & Graven, and Ratwick, Roszak, and Maloney, P.A.
• Tim Murphy for property and other local concerns.
• The board named Clifton Larson Allen, LLP as the school auditor.
• The board authorized the business manager/finance director and the superintendent to invest cash reserves and to make electronic transfers.
• The board designated the duties of the school board clerk to the office manager/human resource coordinator.
• The board named The Caledonia Argus as its official newspaper.
• Finally, the board approved the following depositories:
- General fund at Merchants Bank.
- Secondary Student Activity Account at Bank of the West.
- Investments at Bank of the West, Merchant’s Bank, Eitzen State Bank, New Albin Savings Bank, Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus and LaSalle National Bank.
The next Caledonia School Board meeting is set for Jan. 21 at 7 p.m.